Frequently Asked Questions about Vehicle Service Contracts

Customers may ask “what is a vehicle service contract?” and then quickly realize it’s something they don’t know how they lived without before.

CARS offers vehicle service contracts, a service agreement designed to help keep vehicles on the road long after their manufacturer’s warranty expires.

Below are some frequently asked questions our customers have had over the years related to Vehicle Service Contracts.

What is a Vehicle Service Contract (also referred to as an extended warranty)?

After the manufacturer’s warranty expires on your vehicle, you have nothing to protect you from inevitable expensive repairs that occur as you drive more miles. A vehicle service agreement will help protect you against unforeseen repairs in the future.

Why do I need a Service Agreement? Is a VSC required to obtain credit?

Your automobile is most likely the 2nd largest investment that you use on a day to day basis. A service agreement will ensure that your vehicle is always in the best mechanical condition. Our contracts are fully transferable and will increase the resale value of your vehicle. The purchase of a VSC is optional, and not a requirement to obtain credit.

Why should I buy a service agreement now? I’m still covered by the manufacturer.

Vehicle Service Contracts cost less the earlier you purchase them. The price for a good contract rises as your vehicle ages and accrues mileage.

How are claims on Vehicle Service Contracts paid?

Our Vehicle Service Contracts allow you to use any ASE Certified repair facility. You have the choice to use a dealer, national chain or local mechanic. Your claim is paid quickly and efficiently over the phone via our corporate credit card. Simply allow the repair facility to contact our claims department and we’ll take care of the bill. You only pay your deductible (if any). There’s no paperwork, no need to lay out any cash and there is no limit to the amount of claims you can have. We cover parts, labor and even sales tax (if applicable).

Are the Vehicle Service Contracts insured?

Yes, we have a full suite of products available, all of which are insured by A+ rated insurance carriers. Contact your VSC Specialist today for details at 1-800-779-2111.

Are there payment options?

CARS, Inc. currently does not offer any payment plan options.

What if I choose to cancel my Vehicle Service Contract?

Your contract contains full details on refunds. You have the right to cancel at any time for a pro-rated refund on the unused portion of your contract. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you are entitled to a full refund.

I’ve seen lower prices on the web. Why should I buy a CARS VSC?

The goal of buying a Vehicle Service Contract is to get the most competitive price and have coverage on the parts of your vehicle that you might need fixed. The cheaper the contract, the fewer parts it covers. If you base your decision solely upon price, please be sure you are getting all the coverage you desire (like road side assistance and free car rental).

Can I purchase a Vehicle Service Contract from my dealer?

You can buy a Vehicle Service Contract through your auto dealer, but expect to pay 40% - 60% more for the same coverage. We are direct marketers, and offer very competitive prices. Feel free to get a quote from your local dealer and compare it to our price.

How does the deductible work?

Each repair visit will require one deductible payment which you pay directly to the repair facility. We also offer a zero deductible option where you’ll never have to reach into your pocket for a covered repair.

Where do I find my Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?

Your VIN is located in several areas, and is your cars unique identifying number. To find your VIN, check the following areas:

  • On a sticker inside the driver’s side door of your vehicle.
  • On the driver’s side dashboard of your vehicle.
  • On the vehicle’s state registration papers.
  • On the title to your vehicle.
  • On your vehicle insurance card.

What do I do if my vehicle breaks down?

After you purchase a Vehicle Service Contract, you must continue to maintain your vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications. In the event of a mechanical breakdown, you should call your pre-assigned 800 number provided for claims support. Take your vehicle to any repair facility, and have them call our claims office to get the final claim approved. Once the claim is approved, the repair facility will fix or replace the broken part(s), and the VSC Administrator will immediately pay the repair bill over the phone with our corporate credit card. You will be requested to pay your deductible to the repair facility directly. We do offer coverage with a $0 deductible.

Learn more about CARS other products

Learn more about Refinancing existing auto loans through CARS. Get information on our Refinance FAQ page.

Learn why you may need GAP insurance. Visit our GAP FAQ page.